SABIC introduces new NORYL resin for ultra-thin-wall insulation movie in higher-voltage EV batteries


SABIC, a worldwide chief within the chemical trade, has launched NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin, a product well-suited for insulation movie utilized in electrical automobile (EV) battery modules to assist enhance safety towards quick circuits and hearth propagation.

This high-performance, polyphenylene ether (PPO)-based resin is engineered with patented applied sciences to assist meet the stringent calls for of higher-voltage batteries (600-800 volts). It achieves the very best comparative monitoring index efficiency stage class (CTI PLC0); supplies ultra-thin-wall extrusion and thermoforming functionality; and meets the UL94 V0 normal at 0.25 mm with non-brominated, non-chlorinated flame retardance.


NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin supplies a novel answer to the drawbacks of incumbent insulation movies made with polycarbonate (PC) and polypropylene (PP) by delivering stronger CTI efficiency and thinner-wall FR functionality. This materials can assist advance EV battery know-how by contributing to occupant security, weight discount and better effectivity for prolonged vary.

SABIC will probably be that includes its new NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin at The Battery Present Europe 2022 in Stuttgart, Germany, 28-30 June, and will probably be showcasing an array of insulation movie and thermoformed elements.

Transitioning from normal, 400-volt EV batteries to greater voltages provides the potential to shorten charging instances, lengthen vary and enhance vitality administration inside the automobile. Nonetheless, designing higher-voltage batteries requires the invention of breakthrough supplies, corresponding to our new NORYL resin for insulation movies. This new answer is the trade’s first thermoformable materials to realize the very best CTI efficiency stage in addition to assembly stringent flame retardancy requirements. SABIC continues to focus intensively on creating progressive materials options that may propel e-mobility adoption by addressing security, efficiency and vary anxiousness challenges.

—Joshua Chiaw, director, Enterprise Administration, LNP & NORYL, Specialties, SABIC

The CTI PLC, which signifies the utmost voltage a cloth can face up to with out creating monitoring, is used to judge electrical insulators below publicity to circumstances of stress, humidity and contamination. NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin achieved the very best CTI efficiency stage class of 0 in testing by an impartial laboratory, indicating it could possibly face up to 600 volts and larger.

Whereas some PP grades can even obtain CTI PLC0, these supplies are tougher to thermoform, usually requiring the appliance of secondary processes to realize complicated shapes. Moreover, NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin delivers higher mechanical power than PP at 0.25mm thickness. Polycarbonate, the opposite incumbent battery insulation materials, sometimes can not obtain CTI PLC0.

NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin’s potential to satisfy the UL94 V0 normal at 0.25 mm means it could possibly present a excessive stage of flame retardance at a thinner movie gauge than PC or PP, probably liberating up priceless area within the battery pack.

In comparison with PC, NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin options as much as 40% weight discount because of its decrease particular gravity and thinner-wall FR functionality. This functionality can even probably profit different EV purposes. For instance, the brand new NORYL resin could also be a candidate for the insulation of metallic EV busbars, utilizing overmolding or insert molding processes.

SABIC’s NORYL NHP8000VT3 resin is globally out there.

Ranked among the many world’s largest petrochemicals producers, SABIC is a public firm primarily based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. 70% of the corporate’s shares are owned by Saudi Aramco, with the remaining 30% publicly traded on the Saudi inventory trade.


Leave a Comment